Today, there are many stones in the market and all of them have their special and unique features. In this article, we are going to introduce you the advantages and disadvantages of travertine stones. Nowadays, travertine stones are among the stones that are often used for classical facade. The special and unique features of these stones have made them to be a high-sale product in the market, and also the most popular facade stones.
What is travertine stone?
Travertine is a type of sedimentary stone that it has a weight of 2500 kg/m3 and has porosity. These stones are softer than marbles and they have a variety of colors and designs, and also they are highly resistant.
Travertine stones are often sold in cream, white and gray colors. Compounds such as calcium, iron and other impurities form the design and color of these stones and give a special beauty to them. The less elements present in this stone, the brighter the color of stone will be.
Advantages and Disadvantages of travertine stone
Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of travertine stones:
- Resistant to sound, cold and heat, due to having many holes inside
- Can be cut into two types of wavy and waveless slabs and tiles
- The reason for reducing the weight of the buildings due to its lower weight than other building stones
- It can be processed with materials such as resin, mastic, cement, putty and etc. (Stones processed using resin have very high resistance.)
- Easy cutting with special tools in different sizes
- Can be used in honed, polish and bush-hammered form
- It has low porosity, which prevents this product from breaking when water penetrates into the texture of this stone.
- Can be used in exterior and interior facade of the buildings due to its special and unique beauty
- A good choice to use as buildings flooring
- Suitable for swimming pools
- The possibility of shaping into different forms
- Very high strength and durability
- No necessity to use different types of mortar and it can be used in dry form
- Reasonable price compared to high resistance and special beauty
- Having tiny holes that increase the stickiness of this stone
- Resistant to sunlight due to having a UV protective layer
- Completely stable color and no color changes over time
- Easy and fast installation
- Easy cleaning
- Non-uniform designs and colors
- Not having a very high resistance to cold
- If they are not processed well or low-quality materials are used in processing them, their water absorption increases
- Travertine stones have a higher cost when used in flooring compared to other stones
Application of travertine stone
Now that you are familiar with the advantages and disadvantages of travertine stones, we must tell you that these stones are used in interior and exterior facade of the buildings, floors, walls, staircases, kitchen counters, bathrooms and etc. If you want to buy travertine stones, check our products.