Onyx is a type of limestone that has a relatively high density. This stone is formed by the deposition of calcium carbonate in limestone cavities, which are rich in bicarbonate. This stone has a special beauty and with its beautiful color and design, it has become a widely used stone. Commercially, onyx is known as the brother of marble in the markets, and due to the similarity of the name, these two stones are often confused with each other.
Due to the presence of iron deposits in marble, you can see wide ranges of yellow and orange colors in this stone. Of course, onyx has different colors, which has led to the creation of different types of marble. The interesting point in this context is that the way onyx is formed is completely similar to travertine. The difference between them is that travertines have a porous texture, but onyx is very smooth, non-porous and dense.
Characteristics of different types of onyx
onyx has special characteristics and advantages. For this reason, this stone is widely used in building construction in different sectors. Among the advantages and features of this building stone, the following can be mentioned.
- High density
- Lack of porosity
- Smooth and polished surface
- High adaptability
- Low water absorption
- Ability to pass light through itself
- Non absorption of heat and cold
By Having these features, onyx is a special and vulnerable stone in addition to its extraordinary beauty. Because this stone is easily scratched and stained, it needs more care than other building stone.
The use of different types of onyx
Considering the characteristics and advantages of onyx, it can be said that it is very diverse with its design, color and features. In the following, we mention the most important of these applications:
- Since onyx has the property of passing light, it is used in luxury spaces as the decoration or to create an effect and lighting.
- The next use that can be considered for this stone is to use it as stone artifacts.
- In the interior decoration of the room, instead of using wallpaper, you can use onyx wall covering.
- Various types of onyx with a special and beautiful appearance can be used
- as counters or tables in kitchens or as walls and stones in bathrooms.
You should keep in mind that marble is vulnerable to staining and you should be careful in its maintenance. In general, it can be said that due to the high price of this stone and taking into account its characteristics, this stone is most widely used in architecture and interior decoration.
There are no reviews yet.